The Gardens


The Grass

jardin Boulingrin

The Boulingrin, a distortion of the English word “bowling green”, witch was used as a theatre and where many plays were produced in the time of the Marshal.

The field of roses

The field of roses thus named because it contained the first rose trees of Bengal introduced into our country. Currently in restoration.

The Dean’s walk

Allée du Doyen

The “Doyen entrance” is a 600 m long way where the arbors are 6 m high. The name comes from the fact that the dean of Beloeil use to walk along this way reading his prayer book.


The red fishes pond

The fishes have unfortunately disappeared due to the appetite of herons and other birds of prey.

Bassin des poissons rouges

Bassin des poissons rouges

The Rieu d’Amour

A little rustic folly laid out by Prince Charles-Joseph in his father’s park in the second half of the 18th century.

Rieu d'amour

The oval lake

Bassin oval

The oval Lake takes its name from its shape, it has its own spring and only freezes in very cold weather.  It is a haven for non migrant ducks.

Bassin oval

The Mirrors

These basins was formerly bordered of very low hedges.

Jardins miroirs

With force of persévérence, prince Antoine could go up them to two thirds of the broadness of outlook, according to the gun of Dezaillier d’ Argenville, architect of gardens of the 17th century.

The Sources

Three springs feed the Mirrors and the Rieu d’Amour.  In the smallest, one can see how clear, transparent and limpid the water is.  Legend has it that if you throw a coin, make a wish and bubbles rise, your wish will come true.

Les sources

The Great Devil’s Room

The swing bridge

The swing bridge of witch one can see the remnants, was the main entrance to the property.

Le pont tournant

The Neptune’s statue

The Prince Claude-Lamoral II addresses, in 1742, in Adrien Henrion, sculptor trained by Pigale, to decorate the head of the water part by the group of Neptune, Eole and Aquillon.

The Quincunx

The beech quincunx which stood here prior to World War II was, blown down in a storm in 1942 with many other beech trees.

The copper beeches were replanted by Prince Eugène on the same design between 1948 and 1950.

Le Quinconce


The Mall

The Mall, with its oak trees on each side, (planted in 1906) has a central canal which is fed by water draining from the forest. This is then siphoned under the road and canal to bring water to the three ponds situated on this side.

Allée du Mail

The Cloister

Le Cloître

“The cloister”, one of the most charming corners of the park, is surrounded of two lines of hedges pointing out the cloisters surrounding the gardens of abbeys.

The Ladies lake

As of the end of the 18th century, in the northern part of the basin, two levels of depth made it possible the injuries to bathe there.


The European year of the Parks and Jardins of 1993 allowed the restoration of the “basin of the Injuries” with the assistance of the Walloon Area.

Bassin des Dames

Prince Antoine of Line in renewed the hedges.

The Ice lake

Until approximately 1925, one sawed the ice there to preserve it in a refrigerator located beyond the kitchen garden, under a large hillock.

This ice could still be used in full summer.

The Deer park

The Deer park, is a private area. It contains the Prince Charles obelisk, Bélanger’s temple of Morpheus and the island of Flora, which is shaped like a clover leaf.

The Ruin

“The Ruin” is very characteristic of the gardens of the romantic time. It points out certain elements of the Roman villas and was built at the end of the 18th century. It is in the private park.

The Temple of Pomana

Located in the kitchen garden, the Temple of Pomone – Roman goddess of the gardens – is charming a small house (18th Century) that one sees by the transverse axes of the park and the Orangery.